Realife is an action research development agency, established in 1996 as the charitable arm of the Realife Partnership. Our original purpose was to work alongside up to 10 local families and to develop a range of initiatives based on their needs and preferences. Every project undertaken by Realife since 1996 has been a result of requests from local people to set something up that they simply cannot find from their local authority or other voluntary agency. Invariably, this is because there is no available funding at that time and we have to kick start the process by finding voluntary and unpaid hours from amongst our core team of staff and volunteers.
We continue to offer practical support to anyone who shares our overall aims:
- To provide support to people with a learning difficulty and/or other impairment or disadvantage, in terms of advice, information, training, education, direct assistance, advocacy and any other intervention to enable them to live a full life in their chosen community.
- To develop the above range of supports and services on a local basis to ensure the direct involvement of service users and carers in every part of the organisations' activities.
- To develop, through direct provision of funding and/or by direct management, new projects to meet the changing needs of people with a learning disability where local facilities are unsatisfactory or non-existent.
- To provide support, advice, information and consultancy to any other individual or agency that shares our overall aims.
- To work in partnership wherever possible with individuals and agencies that share our overall aims.
- To ensure that every activity of the Realife Trust is subject to continual evaluation by adopting an action research approach involving external evaluation.